Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:09:21PM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> >So using a 386 as a router and firewall, which it is perfectly capable
> >of hardwarewise
>
> Is that really the case?
>
> a) Is anybody actually doing this, today?

In our company, we are using

 * Two 386sx 16 MHz with 8 MB RAM as DNS (authoritative, secondary for a
   handful of domains)
 * A 386DX 40 MHz as "ISDN logging machine" (equipped with a ISA ISDN
   card, running isdnlog to make a log of all incoming and outgoing
   calls)
 * A 486 as backup server (using big IDE drives for data storage)

All running woody and latest 2.2.x kernels.

> b) Do you then have 10MB or 100MB ethernet in that computer?
>    Can you even put a 100MB ethernet card into the computer?
>    Does it have PCI?

There are 100MB ISA cards, but the 386 can't use their full capacity.
The machines I mentionned above use 10MB ISA ethernet cards.

--
Andreas Trottmann
Ideen Werft22 GmbH