Re: libpng clarification

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:46:03PM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:16:34PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Wrong.  It was Red Hat who *instigated* the change in library names
> > upstream to allow the devel packages to be installed simultaneously,
> > because they have no intention of trying to recompile GNOME 1 against a
> > different libpng.

> So gnome doesn't use imlib (in Debian at least it seems to), or did I
> somehow miss why it appears RedHat only has one version of imlib,
> which is the version compiled against libpng12?

Dunno.  Which version of the GNOME libs do you have on that system?  If
it's a GNOME2-using version of Red Hat, that might explain why you don't
see any of the older libs.  I would guess they successfully phased out
GNOME 1.x completely, so it's primarily an issue of binary compatibility
with older versions of /all/ distros (Red Hat and Debian included).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer