Re: x86-64 mailing list

* Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.cx> [030424 16:36]:
> ...But IA64 is the name for the platform, as opposed to a specific
> implementation. We also refer to the Pentiums, Athlons and their smaller
> cousins as x86 or i386 chips[1]. The right naming should follow the
> architecture's name, not a specific chip's.

This got me thinking.  If AMD continues to evolve the x86-64
architecture, what will the next model be called?

For example if -- and I know it's not true -- there is an architectural
difference between Opteron and Athlon64, how will we distinguish between
the deb's built for one x86-64 implementation and another?

I have heard that there are some workarounds that must be done at the
system level (probably only the kernel) to make things work properly on
the initial Opteron implementation.  AMD is aware of the problems and
via their errate they are making other aware of them and proper work
arounds.

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/