Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Andreas Barth wrote:

> Can't you understand that as an author you would like that messages
> like this are not removed without your consent? The internet
> robustness principle says: Be liberal in what you accept and
> conservative in what you send. Modifiying code is sending, and

Writing the code in the first place is also sending.  I'd say that, under
the circumstances for which reiserfsprogs is most likely to be used by a
person, a long credits speil at the end of execution isn't overly
conservative.  The principles apply to everyone.

> therefore the debian-maintainers should be conservative in making
> changes against the will of the upstream maintainers. (Formally

That I wholeheartedly agree with - hell, it should be put in the Developers
Reference in big pointy letters.

However, at the end of the day, maintainers have signed on to do the best
for our users, not upstream maintainers.  The question must be asked and
answered, how are users better served - by keeping a long credits message
and reiserfs, or switching to another journalling file system whose tools
don't have such unpleasantness.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16