Re: Do we need policy changes?

On Sunday 20 April 2003 10:09, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Apart from telling various and sundry people about it, have
>  you done anything? This is free software. If it scratches youtr itch,
>  fix it. And send patches.

The original author stated that it occurs that upstream rejects UTF-8 fixes
and the like.
So, here's my proposal, Nikolai:
Make a public webpage with a list of all projects which reject such fixes,
and/or maintainers who claim that their upstream rejects such fixes.
Add a column to this list with applications and libraries which lack proper
support, so people can see where it's worth working on improvements and where
it's worth checking out alternative projects if nothing happens after some
time.

Further improvements can be accellerated by adding support on development
tools (for instance automake still cannot handle i18n'd manpages), even
though this is not always easy to do.

Another example: The German translation of passwd(1) is from 1993, and is
plain wrong.
The way to handle such issues is not to complain, but to run:
apt-cache show `dpkg -S /usr/share/man/de/man1/passwd.1.gz | cut -d ":" -f 1`
| grep Maintainer
...and to send the guy in question a mail with an updated manpage (or use the
BTS in more complicated cases, or send it to upstream directly where it makes
sense).

Sarge will have an updated version, because I cared about it :)

Josef

--
Play for fun, win for freedom.