Re: foo has reached testing, removing versioned build-depends?

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 03:50:23PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I've read the changelog and the bug report closed by that earlier
> change, and removing the version still makes no sense. If earlier
> versions of debiandoc-sgml produce incorrect output, as reported, then
> the versioned build-dep should be left there, as it will help people
> trying to build with older versions to know what the problem is.

There is no problem with older versions, only with buggy versions.
Some debiandoc-sgml version (not the one in woody e.g) produced
incorrect output with a lot of package, not just menu, but fortunately
this caused only a minor problem. I do not know the exact versions where
this problem occured, and probably some others versions had worse
problems as well.

I was nder the impression that builddeps were not to be used to avoid
using buggy packages.  Sometime packages with bugs are uploaded,
eventually fixed packages are uploaded, but the detail about that belong
to the package changelog, not to other packages control files.

The only reason I have used versionned builddeps in the first place was
to ensure the buildd pick up a fixed version, now the risk is gone, so I
have removed it.

In the same vein, should I write the complete list of g++ version that
are known to misbuild menu on at least one arch ?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>