Re: New packages taking over config files from old packages, depends, order

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:47:59PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> So I made sysvinit Pre-Depend on initscripts. But that results
> in the following installation problem:
> # dpkg -i *.deb

Pre-Depends aren't resolved by a single invocation of dpkg -i
(whereas Depends are). This is why you used to have to do those
Install/Configure/Install/Configure cycles in dselect; apt should handle
this correctly.

> Unpacking initscripts (from initscripts_2.85-1_i386.deb) ...
> Replacing files in old package sysvinit ...
> Selecting previously deselected package sysv-rc.
> Unpacking sysv-rc (from sysv-rc_2.85-1_i386.deb) ...
> Replacing files in old package sysvinit ...
> dpkg: regarding sysvinit_2.85-1_i386.deb containing sysvinit, pre-dependency
> problem:
>  sysvinit pre-depends on initscripts
>   initscripts is unpacked, but has never been configured.
> dpkg: error processing sysvinit_2.85-1_i386.deb (--install):
>  pre-dependency problem - not installing sysvinit

So as long as you can go:

	dpkg -i initscripts sysv-rc
	dpkg -i sysvinit

and not have errors, it shouldn't be a problem.

Likewise, running dpkg --pending --configure, then rerunning dpkg -i
should work too.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''