New packages taking over config files from old packages, depends, order

I have split up sysvinit into three packages:

- sysvinit
- initscripts
- sysv-rc

This is so that BSD and the Hurd can easier replace just the parts
they need, probably just initscripts and sysv-rc, and so that
alternative systems like file-rc can be dropped in easier.

Initscripts now contains the files in /etc/init.d/* that used to
be in sysvinit. They are conffiles.

However if you then install the new packages, and you install
the new sysvinit first, sysvinit will 'orphan' the former
conffiles in /etc/init.d (fortunately they are not deleted)
and when you then install initscripts, it will start complaining
about 'file already exists created by you or a script' which
is not what the user would expect.

If initscripts is installed first, all is well since it
Replaces: sysvinit so it takes over the /etc/init.d/* files
from sysvinit, and there are no problems.

So I made sysvinit Pre-Depend on initscripts. But that results
in the following installation problem:

# dpkg -i *.deb
Unpacking initscripts (from initscripts_2.85-1_i386.deb) ...
Replacing files in old package sysvinit ...
Selecting previously deselected package sysv-rc.
Unpacking sysv-rc (from sysv-rc_2.85-1_i386.deb) ...
Replacing files in old package sysvinit ...
dpkg: regarding sysvinit_2.85-1_i386.deb containing sysvinit, pre-dependency
problem:
 sysvinit pre-depends on initscripts
  initscripts is unpacked, but has never been configured.
dpkg: error processing sysvinit_2.85-1_i386.deb (--install):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing sysvinit

How should I solve this .. will apt get this right, and am I just
seeing this error because dpkg by itself is not smart enough ?
Or is there something I'm missing ?

Mike.