Re: why which?

> Haven't we generally just taken the gnu version or other more
> "featureful" version and made it the default? On the face of it it seems

debianutils is Essential; debianutils which is currently only useful as
a portable way for Debian scripts to locate programs in a PATH.  GNU
which, in theory, is useful for interactive use.  Putting GNU which in
an Essential package would be as irresponsible as leaving ddate in
util-linux.  Oh, wait.

> that if there is a chance we can have a more standard which that is
> maintained by an upstream and there isn't something grossly wrong with
> it, we should use it. After all, debianutils is supposed to be for
> programs "specific to debian".

Quite a few of them aren't, oddly enough.