Re: Bundling .debs with their debconf data

See http://www.infrastructures.org/papers/turing/turing.html.  A
particular piece of debconf data is specific to the version of that
package on that machine at that time -- it is not sitewide, or even
host-class-wide.  Debconf data changes really ought to be advanced in
step with the versions of packages to which they pertain.  This means
that sitewide distribution of most debconf data (via LDAP or anything
else) doesn't appear to be a good idea.  The only things that seem to
make sense to put in LDAP are transient, environment-specific
information, like server locations.

To give you a practical idea of what I mean, I'd be curious to see the
results of this from each of your machines:

  (dpkg -l; cat /var/cache/debconf/config.dat) | md5sum

I'm wondering if you'll find that you have close to 120 different
machines, as unique as snowflakes, rather than 3-4 different software
configurations.  Some of this difference would be due to debconf
management issues, and some might be due to FAI's default behavior of
downloading the latest version of whatever it finds on the archive
servers during initial install -- the same FAI configuration will
produce different machines on different days.

It's *possible* that in your case you have totally identical machines
within classes -- one way to get that would be to re-install them all
since you took that most recent woody snapshot, while never changing
the content of your snapshot.  A frequent 'apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade' would help avoid the latter requirement, but that brings
up all sorts of production test and change control issues.  And it
still doesn't solve many of the debconf data management problems.

The debconf data really needs to be encapsulated with the packages in
order to get provably repeatable rebuilds across a whole set of hosts.
Provable repeatability is important for production management, for
test vs. production syncing, and gets really important for DR ability
-- you want the hosts at your recovery site to rebuild in *exactly*
the same way; in case of a major disaster you'll have more important
things to worry about.

Steve