Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:19:24AM +0100, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> Unfortunately Adrian didn't wrote why he thinks backports aren't
> usable for production systems. The only real problem with backports I
> see is that there are no guaranted security updates.
>
> This could be a reason for someone to not using backports. For me it's
> not, I'm using my own backports.

I'd like to use my own backports, but I don't really think I have the
time to get into all the packages I'd like to have backported.

A big question here is - why are the so many backports? Is this a
sign how "outdated" stable is? I'm having Woody on my servers and I'm
loving the stableness and security of it. However. I'd also like to have
an up to date system on my desktop. For this I'd have to use unstable
which breaks now and then (and does not get security support) or search
for backports of all software I'd like to enjoy - a modern gui, better
hardware support (desktops are often more up to date in this point).

For now I have to fiddle around, creating bootdisks with newer kernels,
search backports, ...  and since I don't have the time to do so I've
just installed SuSE once again.[1]

    Balu
[1] on this machine, but might switch to knoppix though ;)