Re: cpufreqd: different config file for kernel 2.4 and 2.6

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 02:17:19AM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 01:11:34PM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm packaging the new upstream version of cpufreqd (1.1-rc1) and I have
> > a problem with the default configuration file to provide.
> >
> > The story:
> >
> > in kernel 2.4 CpuFreq interface (/proc/cpufreq) you can input
> > frequencies as percent or Hz values
> >
> > in kernel 2.6 (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/*) you can only use
> > Hz values.
> >
> > Now, if I provide percent based cpufreqd.conf it won't be 2.6
> > compatible, but provinding a Hz based config file is meaningless for
> > most systems.
>
> So what is the problem? Make the 2.6 interface emulate the 2.4 kernel..
> How?
>
> parse /proc/cpuinfo
> compute the new freq. based on % in the config file
>
> It should not be that difficult.

but is useless. 2.4 and 2.6 already have something in common: Hz values
capabilities.

The initial problem was that providing a percent based config file could
be *less* meaningless because simply writing 0%-100% would cover any
esotic processor.
Any complex configuration file created and tested for my two home
systems will resonably be meaningless for anybody not owning the same
system, thus the user should really write his own configuration based on
his needs and processor capabilities.
that's all.

As of now I'm prividing the most simple configuration using Hz
(generated at postinst stage), the user will then customize his
configuration. I also provide two less simple examples in
/usr/share/doc/cpufreqd/examples

> PS. Is CPU freq. even available on SMP systems?

yes, but cpufreqd is not :( I don't have any SMP system to test it

ciao
--
mattia
:wq!