cpufreqd: different config file for kernel 2.4 and 2.6

Hi,

I'm packaging the new upstream version of cpufreqd (1.1-rc1) and I have
a problem with the default configuration file to provide.

The story:

in kernel 2.4 CpuFreq interface (/proc/cpufreq) you can input
frequencies as percent or Hz values

in kernel 2.6 (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/*) you can only use
Hz values.

Now, if I provide percent based cpufreqd.conf it won't be 2.6
compatible, but provinding a Hz based config file is meaningless for
most systems.

At the moment cpufreqd exits with an error (and a fat warning) if kernel
is >2.6 and if frequency is in percentage, so the installation process
breaks in postinst when starting the daemon.

Any suggestion on how to manage such a situation? Any other package
faces a similar problem?

thanks in advance
--
mattia