Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

* Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.cx> [030426 22:29]:

> > > 486SX.
> >
> > I thought that in-kernel emulation would have solved the gap between 486
> > DX and SX.
>
> For practical purposes, yes... Although emulated FP is really, REALLY
> slow. I installed a machine to be a X terminal about two years ago -
> 386SX, 8MB RAM. It worked fine, yes... But MUCH slower than a
> similarly-configured machine with a hardware FP unit, to the point of
> deciding it would be a text terminal, with no X :)

I agree completely -- in todays world of CPU's capable of many millions
of FP operations/s you really don't want a 486SX.

However, in the context of our conversation it makes no difference that
the performance sucks.  A 486 is a 486 as far as a Debian package is
concerned.  We don't need to consider the 486SX when deciding where the
architecture split should be.

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/