Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

> > > - Integrated math coprocessor ( why does libc still check for its
> > > availability? ) [...]
> >
> > 486SX.
>
> I thought that in-kernel emulation would have solved the gap between 486
> DX and SX.

For practical purposes, yes... Although emulated FP is really, REALLY
slow. I installed a machine to be a X terminal about two years ago -
386SX, 8MB RAM. It worked fine, yes... But MUCH slower than a
similarly-configured machine with a hardware FP unit, to the point of
deciding it would be a text terminal, with no X :)

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23