Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 06:59, Joey Hess wrote:
> Maintaining a good relationship with upstream is a sizable chunk of
> doing a good job maintaining a package. Without such a relationship, you
> cannot --
>
>    -- pass bugs and feature request upstream with any certainty that they
>       will be heeded
>    -- be sure that upstream is passing any misdirected (sent directly to
>       upstream and debian specific) bug reports from Debian users back down
>       to you
>    -- find out in advance about any plans that you need to be prepared for
>    -- make sure that upstream is happy with your work, and that you're
>       not messing up anything non-obvious in the packaging

My experience is that even with the best possible relationship with upstream
the last three often don't happen.

For example, there is no chance of the NSA people giving me any notice of
their future plans before they publically announce them, and they are
hesitant to pre-announce changes on the list in case they are unable to
deliver what they announce.