Re: Pre-linux Windows program - was Re: bill gates Linux

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 04:30:10PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> Another idea: why not support an installation in an ext2 filesystem
> which is really a big file on a Windows VFAT partition, mounted using a
> loopback device? That would do away with all the partitioning; that
> would only be needed when the user wants to get rid of the relatively
> minor performance penalty of the extra FS layer.

Are VFAT partitions still common?  I thought Windows 2000 and XP both
used NTFS by default.  And last time I tried (about a year ago, I think)
mounting NTFS read-write on Linux was still flaky.

I also question whether the performance penalty would be "relatively minor",
especially if you treat the swap device the same way.  But that can be
measured.  If it's significant, then I think this option should not be
encouraged, because it would give Linux an undeserved bad name among
precisely the people we hope to convert.

Richard Braakman