Re: Pre-linux Windows program - was Re: bill gates Linux

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 02:30, Emile van Bergen wrote:

> Another idea: why not support an installation in an ext2 filesystem
> which is really a big file on a Windows VFAT partition, mounted using a
> loopback device? That would do away with all the partitioning; that
> would only be needed when the user wants to get rid of the relatively
> minor performance penalty of the extra FS layer.
>
> Can Linux work with a loopback root fs, using initrd to set it up?
>
> Cheers,

Actually I think Mandrake might do something roughly like that if you use
the "easy" option rather than "expert" mode. After an easy mode
installation it takes a wet week to do anything at all (on a Pentium 233 box).

The same distro on the same box is quite quick after a so called expert
mode install.

Bob