Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:09:31AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:57:05PM +0100, Oliver Kurth wrote:
> > MAIL FROM: <okurth@gmx.net>
> > RCPT TO: <okurth@gmx.net>
>
> Would this work? Or would you need to be authenticated first?

$ telnet mx0.gmx.net 25
Trying 213.165.64.100...
Connected to mx0.gmx.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 {mx015-rz3} GMX Mailservices ESMTP
MAIL FROM: <okurth@gmx.net>
250 {mx015-rz3} ok
RCPT TO: <okurth@gmx.net>
250 {mx015-rz3} ok
quit
221 {mx015-rz3} GMX Mailservices
Connection closed by foreign host.

It does. For gmx at least.

> (ie. I thought we were discussing checking purely based on
> the MAIL FROM address, not checking for relaying).

This is handled differently. Some servers check if the domain part
has a valid mx pointer, some do not. But I am not sure, if the
example above works for any server, I am sure you can set it up
so that it does not accept local addresses from other networks
than its own to a local address. It would make sense though, because
many spammers try to set a local MAIL FROM: address. If someone wants
to send a mail with a local MAIL FROM: from a foreign network, he
should be authenticated.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
Oh my, the stars!
       me, first time I stared at the night sky with my new contact lenses