Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:20:47AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:48:14AM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> > see if you still don't have a problem. Or try giving the server a local (to
> > it) address after MAIL FROM: the server should complain unless you're on a
> > network which it considers to be local.
>
> Tried that with both qmail and postfix, and it still accepts it.
>
> (ie. telnet to remote server, entered "MAIL FROM: $remoteaddress",
>      and the server still accepts it even though it considers it a
>      local address).

Did you also give RCPT TO: after that?

$ mx gmx.net
gmx.net             	MX	10 mx0.gmx.de
gmx.net             	MX	10 mx0.gmx.net
$ telnet mx0.gmx.net 25
Trying 213.165.64.100...
Connected to mx0.gmx.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 {mx018-rz3} GMX Mailservices ESMTP
EHLO test
250-{mx018-rz3} GMX Mailservices
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
MAIL FROM: <okurth@gmx.net>
250 {mx018-rz3} ok
RCPT TO: <oku@masqmail.cx>
550 {mx018-rz3} We do not relay - access denied
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

This is from a dial up line. Both addresses exist. The reply is completely
okay, if I wanted to send a mail as okurth@gmx.net I would have to
authorize myself via the AUTH mechanism or do pop-before-smtp, which I did
not.

The same would have happened if I set MAIL FROM: to another address.

The other way round would have worked, ie. MAIL FROM: <oku@masqmail.cx>
and RCPT TO: <okurth@gmx.net>. That's how you would send a mail to me.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
Oh my, the stars!
       me, first time I stared at the night sky with my new contact lenses