Re: linux for blinds

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 10:03, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Sébastien FRANCOIS wrote:
>
> > You might remember me, I had asked a few months ago concerning the
> > projects that existed for blinds.
> > I've set up a new system based on a debian with several modes:

> > This way we could have on the same cd, the possibility to give blinds a
> > first try of linux, and also a 'true' debian installation.
> > Our installation is currently translated into 17 languages.
> >
> > Let me know what you think about it,
> The idea to make a system for blinds is great and I can only enforce
> you to do it.
>
> But you are going the wrong way!
>
> Just have a deep look at Debian internal projects!
> I think a good reference is my talk about it at LinuxDays Luxembourg:
>
>       http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/talks/200210_lux_internal/
>
> In my opinion you will avoid doubling of work if you would join our
> internal projects effort.  Feel free to ask if something remains unclear
> in this field.  (Please be patient because I will be offline until
> 4. November.)

you might also want to look (if you haven't done yet) at the
accessibility support in GNOME (ATK). One of the developers is blind and
I saw him, in last GUADEC, give a talk about the accessibility support,
and it was really fantastic to see him use emacs, gnome-terminal, etc,
just as any other user.
Also, the accessibility support in GNOME has received some awards about
it being the most advanced accessibility toolkit available, better even
than the one present in Windows and MacOS.

The page of the project is at http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

> Kind regards and good luck for your project

yes, I also wish you good luck.

cheers