Re: [desktop] Real users experience.

Colin Walters wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 09:13, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 02:34:10PM -0400, Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > >
> > >   Oh, also, it might get confusing for newbies if several people do this
> > > in a row (eg: user A starts, wanders off; user B starts a new session,
> > > wanders off, user C starts a new session, uses it, and exits.  A comes
> > > back and can't figure out where his screen went..)
> >
> > Actually, in XP that's not confusing at all, simply because XP's login
> > screen shows you a list of all the user accounts and indicates which
> > ones are logged on currently.
>
> Well, I believe Daniel was referring to A being confused because if he
> logged on again, he would just get the default desktop instead of his
> previous session.

I'm not sure what you mean. When A comes back, he'll see the words
"logged on" (or some equivalent; I forget the exact wording) next to his
name on the login screen. If he logs in, he'll get his existing session,
not his default desktop. The behavior is exactly what one would expect,
whether one is a newbie or an expert, and it's not at all ambiguous. I
don't like the security implications of showing all the account names
and their login status on the login screen, but you can't fault it for
clarity and ease of use.

Craig