Re: A Round of Removals

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 04:20:29PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > To expand on this. The point of considering bugs that make a package
> > completely unusable "grave" is that if a package is *completely*
> > unusable, there's no point having it in the archive at all, so we
> > shouldn't worry about getting rid of it. If the package is useful,
> > but doesn't work for some people, that's not the case, so the "grave"
> > severity doesn't apply. OTOH, if it's completely broken on one or two
> > entire architectures, it *does* apply: foo_1.2.3-1_powerpc.deb should be
> > removed, in the case for example.
> You were going to remove the complete package, not only the none-working
> parts.

Right: that's really my only option; if I remove only bits of it, they'll
just get rebuilt by the autobuilders and reuploaded. That's not such a
problem when it's a build time bug (which generally means the build'll
fail so there won't be anything to upload), but it is when it's a runtime
problem (unless the package has some testsuites, of course). *You*
(as maintainer) do have the option though.

Cheers,
aj