Re: Make Debian better (Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot)

On Oct 21, Colin Walters wrote:
> Unfortunately though, there's lots of core stuff that we need to fix
> before even contemplating something like a desktop group.
> debian-installer being the big one of course, but other things like
> finishing the menu rewrite, finish integrating GNOME 2 and KDE 3...

Speaking of the menu rewrite, it's getting there.  I just need to wrap
my brain around a couple more things (sorting the constructed tree in
a locale-friendly way; coming up with an example generator or two to
show how it's done; generating lots of .directory files for the
ClassicCategorizer folders that people can localize; an implementation
of /usr/sbin/update-menus) before it'll be ready for an upload to
experimental.

For now, you can play with the code at
http://phys251.phy.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi under module
"newmenu".  The current parse_desktop.py will take whatever's in your
/usr/share/applications and try to classify it into a menu tree that's
sorta-kinda like Debian's current hierarchy (using my cheesy
ClassicCategorizer).

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@phy.olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager, Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Mississippi
125B Lewis Hall - 662-915-5765