Re: png2/3 problem apparently successfully solved with -Bsymbolic

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> Apparently the "different interpretation" is what I was assuming the
> current one.

Yeah, I was in a severe headache for a while because I too knew about the
old interpretation apparently.

> How about the implementing the GNU extension?

It would be useful, yes.  But I think it is completely out of the
possibilities for the near future -- you need to get it upstream, and let it
deploy first.

So can we go with versioned symbols (plus -Bsymbolic in key libraries if
just versioned symbols isn't enough for that particular library -- not many
have an API so broken that -Bsymbolic is actually required when versioned
symbols are in use).

> Or, alternatively, how about changing the semantics of DT_SYMBOLIC?
> (shouldn't cause serious problems, would it?)

I am somehow very not amused by the idea of tracking down the problems this
_could_ cause.  If we didn't have versioned symbols, I'd say go for it.  But
we do, so IMHO we really should take the clean path.

  Henrique Holschuh