Re: png2/3 problem apparently successfully solved with -Bsymbolic

Yes, you are right, by reading at the source it seems that ld.so only
searches the object with -Bsymbolic.

In fact there is this comment in the relevant file:
      /* Create an appropriate searchlist.  It contains only this map.

	 XXX This is the definition of DT_SYMBOLIC in SysVr4.  The old
	 GNU ld.so implementation had a different interpretation which
	 is more reasonable.  We are prepared to add this possibility
	 back as part of a GNU extension of the ELF format.  */

Apparently the "different interpretation" is what I was assuming the
current one.

How about the implementing the GNU extension?
The value attached to the DT_SYMBOLIC entry is currently ignored but set
to 0 by ld so we could use it for the extension.
On non-Debian/non-GNU platforms this would interpreted just like
DT_SYMBOLIC.

This would only require modification of ld.so (add support for
DT_SYMBOLIC and value=1) and ld (add -Bgnusymbolic).

Or, alternatively, how about changing the semantics of DT_SYMBOLIC?
(shouldn't cause serious problems, would it?)