Re: intel's Linux compiler w/ Debian

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:35:54PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 03-Aug-2002 Joseph Carter wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 01:15:28PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> >> I heard it produces more optimized binaries but of course this is only true
> >> on
> >> real Intel procs, not AMD or what not.
> >
> > Not so - AMD Palominos and Thuroughbreds support all of the Intel
> > instructions and, naturally enough, the AMD chips are faster even with the
> > Intel compiler..  Intel is .. displeased by this.
> >

> wow.  I was under the impression Intel's compiler did better work using their
> knowledge of the pipelines and what not.

Mostly it does better through gcc being, frankly, utter crap when it
comes to optimising. Many commercial compilers do better than gcc.

The techniques used are usually patented (or NDA'ed trade secrets),
thusly they are not available to free compilers.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK