Re: This is how packaging should be done.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:33:07AM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:

> Not everyone is forced to use the packages contributed from the public.
> There can still be packages approved by official developers. A user
> could decide to only use the packages marked as approved and they would
> be as safe as Debian is now.

Um, so we bring potentially dodgy stuff onto a debian site. And you think
users *read* the message that says "this stuff is not to be trusted", let
alone *understand* it?

As it stands now, people are free to provide repositories of extra or
updated stuff for Debian systems. The fact that there is no such repository
(at least not that I've heard of) that fits your description indicates to me
that all the people who know enough to set one up also know that it would be
a bad idea.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Think twice before speaking, but don't say "think think click click".