Re: dpkg can't remove directories

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 07:45, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Contrary to an earlier post, doing remove then purge doesn't
> work either: the config file is removed by the purge, but the
> rest of the files are still there.
>
> > If the latter, ignore the message.  dpkg prints it, but it does
> > remove the dir during purge.
>
> Nope -- the files are still there.

This probably means that files which dpkg doesn't know about (ie not
conffiles) are still there, and the package maintainer scripts have not
tried to delete them.

Personally, I wish that there was a better way of keeping track of these
files, but currently there isn't[1].

Note:
[1] at the very least you would think it should be possible for dpkg to
keep track of directories it cannot delete.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>