Re: This is how packaging should be done.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 12:49:50PM -0000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Jeremiah Mahler <jmahler@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > What about the idea that anyone (not just maintainers) can submit
> > packages and they will available immediately to others without
> > having to go through an intermediate person.
>
> What, like personal apt sources? Or do you really think letting anyone
> who wants to clutter the main Packages.gz to do so is a *good* idea?
>
> > In contrast, Debian allows only specific people to add new packages
>
> Only 1k of them. And the number growing all the time. Note that gentoo
> is proud of having 1k *users*.

RedHat has more users than Debian (correct me if I am wrong) and I do not
consider it to be better by any means.

> > and only the maintainer can fix their packages.
>
> You obviously didn't hear about the NMU concept. Have a quick read through
> the developers' reference.

I was ignorant of that fact. It is good that there is a solution for
that scenario. The process looks excellent for producing a quality
package, but in the time up until the process is complete there is
no fix. Of course people can read the bug report and probably find
a solution but then every person that has read the bug report knows
how to fix a bug that is already fixed.

> > This requires work
> > by specific people which makes development slow.
>
> Oh, goody! *Another* well thought out idea about how to make releases
> faster. Why didn't you say so in the first place? Hey, how come aj didn't
> think of that? He's purposely trying to slow down the release, probably.

I have never thought of any maintainer as lazy or having any other
motive other than producing quality packages. They do good work and I
(as well as many others) have high quality system and I am thankful
for all the work they put into Debian :). I am also in know way trying
to belittle the importance of maintainers.

I would not want a system that requires a maintainer to produce packages
faster. In the article it described a system where anyone could
contribute non critical packages and they would be available to the
public immediately. Then, maintainers can, at their leisure, work on the
package and approve it so that it can be used by users that are only
willing to use safe packages.

> --

Jeremiah Mahler
<jmahler@pacbell.net>