rpath, libtool and lintian

OK,
  I'm trying to build lprng which now has a shared library that is used
only by those programs.  Linitan keeps giving me grief about the fact
that liblpr sets the rpath.

To me it looks like libtool is doing that, but I cannot find a switch
to tell libtool to stop using rpath.  Asking around gave me some
cryptic answer about LIBTOOL_IS_A_FOOL but not how it is done.

Any suggestions? Please CC me as I'm not on deb-devel.
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>