Re: L10n of Debconf templates

Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I would like to ask why these translations are filed as bug reports,
> with the translation pasted in the middle of mail.
>
> Is it really safe to do so (e.g. does sending it via e-mail
> guarantee that the character set is preserved rightly)?

No, it's often not safe, and it's a big PITA too, to have to save the
whole thing to a file and edit it. Translators should send attachments.

Of course, maybe the BTS and/or bug reporting tools are at fault here
for not supporting attachments?

> And yes, a step-by-step instruction would be nice. :P

a. Receive translation.
b. Save to file named debian/templates.ll in your package, where "ll"
   is the language code. It might occasionally be of the form ll_LL
   (pt_BR); you can find the right code by looking for a Description-ll:
   line in the translated templates. The translator should also tell you
   what the code is, probably.
c. Run "debconf-getlang --stats debian/templates debian/templates.*" to
   see stats about how up-to-date every translation of the templates
   file is.
d. Make sure your rules file contains a call to dh_installdebconf[1].
e. Build, test, upload.

--
see shy jo

[1] Or "debconf-mergetemplate debian/templates.* debian/templates >
    debian/tmp/DEBIAN/templates" or the like, if you don't use
    debhelper.