Re: Build dependencies, libs and buildd

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 09:38:00PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I got a bug report on python-gnome because a) I did not yet conform to the
> new python policy (missed the dep, thanks Matthias), and b) I did not
> depend on at least 1.0.0 of libgtkhtml-dev.
>
> Now I am wondering if I have to make all dependencies of shared libraries
> more strict... I would expect that the buildd ensures that it has the
> binary of the newest package of each build dep available in unstable
> before building the package. If that is not the case I would have to
> depend on at least the library version installed on my system it seems.

If the buildd for $arch only has 0.9.9 built (maybe 1.0.0 failed to
build), then you have a problem.

The only way to control proper build-deps is to specify them. If your
package requires features in a newer version of a library, well you have
to build-depend on it. That's the whole reason for having them there.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \