Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:41:31AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> For Debian we currently do not have a formal way of ensuring critical
> packages in hands which do not do too much wrong. There are only two social
> points which work quite well:

> a) responsible base system maintainers wont give their packages away to
> people they dont trust
> b) if a package annoys too much users/developers it is getting harsh critics
> (remebered back when perl was one of those candidates?).

> Actually I think there are not much packages which where "forced" away (at
> least I know none which was decided by RM or DPL), so this is a good sign
> and perhapos an Indication that we do not need a more formal way to punish
> DDs.

I agree that punishing DDs is *not* the answer.  Instead, we should do
more to encourage collaborative maintenance of difficult or important
packages.  We have the infrastructure in place now (PTS, Uploaders:
field), we just need more maintainers to come around to working together
this way.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer