Re: facilitating donations

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 22:47, Adam Majer wrote:
> I know what you are talking about [even though I'm in Canada :-]. IMHO,
> the best thing to do is to have some sort of an "office" in Europe. Maybe
> in Germany. They would receive all donations from around the world and
> the current system could remain for people in Canada/US.

You need separate organisations in different countries because of
foreign exchange costs.  These make it uneconomic to send small
donations across frontiers.

Germany may be able to serve the whole Euro zone, but even there there
may still be problems.  There was an article in the paper recently about
an Irish firm which received a cheque for EUR 40 and had it returned
because the bank charges would have been more than the value of the
cheque.

     "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of
      temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of
      judgment to be punished;"            II Peter 2:9