Re: A language by any other name

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 10:08:39PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> But back to the point, this is what people have forgotten in this
> thread: it's a *default*.  We are not declaring British English to be
> better.  We are discussing about a *default* value for the "english"
> token.

yes, that's the point that's been forgotten by some.

this thread is about finding a non-arbitrary way to decide what the
aliases defined by gdm should point to. the only way to do that which
doesn't involve random selection or months of bickering as consensus is
attempted (and failed) is to use the language's commonly-accepted point
of origin.

ok, so that's an arbitrary rule like any other - but at least it's one
that's straight-forward and pretty much beyond dispute.

the problem is not "which locale is chosen", the problem is "people will
spend months arguing over trivialities"...a problem that can be solved
with a simple rule.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>