Re: A language by any other name

>> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

 > My suggestion that 'español' could not safely be pointed to es_ES was
 > somewhat joking; compared with the pathologically divergent spelling
 > rules between the various English dialects, I find the vocabulary
 > differences between the various dialects of Castillian Spanish to be
 > fairly minor and unobtrusive

 Well, every now I then I get togeter with some Spanish friends and we
 have to clarify what we mean when we use some words.  Just yesterday I
 learned that a very common expression in my vocabulary is overloaded
 with a sexual meaning in Spain.  Even if there are no differences in
 spelling that I'm aware of, the meaning and the usage of some words
 varies wildly across regions.  The vocabulary related to computers is
 particularly affected by these variations.  In fact I avoid using
 software translated to Spanish because I hate the way Spanish
 translation are usually done.  For the same reason I avoid doing
 translations to Spanish, I know some group of Spanish speakers could
 have trouble understanding the way I express some things.  AFAICT, in
 the case of English it's just some silly spelling variations and a
 handful of words with different meanings...

--
Marcelo             | Item 49: Familiarize yourself with the standard library
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++