X authentication and su (Re: changing framebuffer device owner during login)

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 08:36:31PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:04:46AM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> > I use ssh to root@localhost with X11 forwarding. It's not clean, but works.
>
> So do I.
>
> > Another option would be xhosts +localhost (didn't try this
>
> That option doesn't seem to work for me.

Which is just as well, since it presents a huge security risk.

Instead, add a line like this:

export XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority

To your shell initialization file.  As long as you su without the '-' argument,
this variable will be preserved, and X clients will be able to authenticate to
your display.

See /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz for this and many other answers
(thanks, Branden).

--
 - mdz