Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 08:43:10PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 02:44:01PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > See also the other mail: >50 changes in 10 days in main/sid
>
> In a single package? Huh?

no.

The description of >50 deb-packages from the debian distribution
main/sid/binary-i386 (with >6000 Packages) had changed in the last 10
days.

> > But if you include the translation only in the debian/control you have
> >  - delays (maybe we have a override file and can solve this)
> >  - you will have outdated translations (like debconf now)
>
> Yes, such is life. I don't see these as being sufficient reason
> to invent a completely new system for dealing with this data.

No outdated translations is a very big problem. The system should
better show untranslated descriptions than outdated translation.

Also the delay is a big problem. And if the the maintainer fast and
upload after a change in the translation, we kill all the autobuilder.

A translation is no 'data' like Dependes, Description, Package.

A translation is only a translation, a other form of the data in a
other languages and a other encoding. And we don't need a completely
new system for translations! We have a old, very well tested system
and we propose to use this system: gettext.

Gettext make all the work and we don't need a new system in dpkg and
apt.

> >  - you must patch dpkg etc. in a wide way
>
> This is not a good excuse. dpkg is a Debian-specific tool,
> and so it should be modified if there is good reason to do so.
> Don't work around it.

I agree with this.

If we need new features in dpkg, we should patch it. And yes, we have
propose a patch for dpkg.

But you should not break the dpkg with a big patch only for
translation. Make it smart. Use this -9/+30 patch and you have it.

> > We can include the translation in the package. This is not the
> > problem, but please not in the control file. The translation is no new
> > information of the package, it is only a translation. Only a other form of
> > the orignal text.
>
> I don't see why the distinction is necessary.

sorry, it is usefull.

Gruss
Grisu
Weiß vielleicht jemand warum ich meine Freundin ständig anrufen soll, seitdem
sie ihr neues Handy mit Vibrationsalarm hat?  (Volker Flohr in daa'ooo)