Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

** On Sep 05, Radovan Garabik scribbled:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 02:47:26PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > are set to the fixed-misc USC version and it seems to work fine. The only
> > problem I have found is with the Unicode TTF fonts - mkttfdir doesn't
> > generate correct fonts.dir file for those AFAICT - all entries have their
> > charset set to ISO-8859-1 in the generated file.
>
> use ttmkfdir instead. It still does not generate 10646 encoding in output,
> but at least it will put there all the encodings that the font covers,
> and you can add 10646 entry by hand.
I noticed that it also fails to process fome TTF fonts (check out
http://curiosity.de/downloads/fonts/curefonts.zip - most of them get
ignored when generating fonts.dir)

> I have however other problems with ttf fonts - they are
> EXTREMELY slow. When I use arialuni.ttf (25MB font with the best
> unicode coverage) as main font in konqueror, just drawing a page
> in ASCII takes 2 minutes (PIII 600 MHz). During those 2
Are you using the freetype backend?

marek
--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer

/* A completely unrelated fortune */
 Men will always be men -- no matter where they are.   -- Harry Mudd,
 "Mudd's Women", stardate 1329.8