Re: How many people need locales?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:12:06AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:19:01PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> immo vero scripsit
> >
> > > This isn't a matter of not using it, it's a matter of a sane base
> > > install. Perhaps base-config could ask if the user wants locales. Know
> > > what? That question is being asked in english _anyway_.
> >
> > Having a few well-known questions asked in English is fine,
> > having a sequence of questions in English is scaring a lot of
> > people away, at least in Japan.
> >
> > You might be ignorant about this, but English language is not
> > understood by everybody.
>
> Don't make assertions. I never said everyone understands it. The point
> is, as it stands now, you have to go through the entire install in
> english...not just a few questions..._all_ of them. That needs to be
> fixed first.

sorry Ben, but this is already fixed!

If you get a Debian in German with german BFs, you get _all_ in
german. After the install you have a LANG=de_DE. The first thing you
see in english is:
 - exim (it don't use debconf... not easy to translate)
 - maybe some 'debconf' templates
 - the package descriptions

We have german, french, ... BFs since years. We have translated a lot
of debconf templates sine one year (in german we have >75%, see
http://auric.debian.org/~grisu/debian_translation/index-de.html)
and now we start with the package description.

Some guides are also translated sine some time.

Gruss
Grisu
"Demzufolge ist Windows wie Nutella: furchtbar suess und schlecht fuer
 die Zaehne."  -- Norbert Kunka