Re: ITP: cidr

On Sun, 22 July 2001 08:31:40 +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:

Just fix it if you have not accidently and of course only
today decided to ignore it...

[..]
> > Come on, knowing all the appropriate stuff from a /30 to a
> > /24 is easy, maybe a /28 or /29 you get wrong sometimes, but
> > it's just those few numbers that even make sense themselves.
>
> 'You get wrong sometimes'? And then your customer or worse yet some other AS
> is debugging problems caused by you.

Moron. You cannot inject something smaller than a /24 into
BGP if you do not have some crappy **** running, therefore
you mentioning an "AS" (as in Autonomous System) is crab.
Worst example ever found...

Also the only thing you usually get wrong is .248 or .240,
you think some more seconds, you usually get it right soon
enough.

> Software is there to do the monkey
> work, so that people can concentrade on the real work.

Nice typo, sounds like tradeoff -- where do you work? Do you
have a serious job as a sysadmin or routing guy or what?

> I hardly think ability to calculate
> anything with IP-addresses is something to brag about.

I just explained how it works if you want to do it that way,
I am afraid some never realized the mathematical stuff
behind it. I do not brag about that math stuff, I brag about
actively using a brain and not relying on a tool and
therefore trying to actually *do* something and try to learn
it. Now, you use that tool, you stop thinking.

> If it's fit you Alexander to always grab piece of paper when you want
> aggregate boundary of two IP-addresses, fine.

("if it fits you, Alexander, to...")

Re-read my mails and get a life. Or read them. I described
the theory and I simply know the numbers, it is not that you
have to learn more than /30 to /24 because it all repeats
after that. I do not use paper, I was never good in math,
but *this* is so terribly easy... I mean... never be my cow-
orker, thanks.

> But be more open minded with
> other peoples pleasures, some people just want to make the software do
> trivialities fast and always right and spend their own time thinking
> something software can't.

It is too dangerous for me to work with someone who does not
know these w/o using this stupid tool if real trouble
arises. I know some of these weenies and they got me
headaches and trouble to fix their fixes afterwards. For
example, if you have not understood the theory than fixing a
cisco access list with inverse netmasks is not done by
netmask, iirc. Now, what are you doing if the only thing you
*really* have in your brain is the netmask and stuff for a
/24 and /25 only because these two are *really* simple? Get
a job, get a real job. You are calling yourself a geek, for
sure...?

EOT, yes, let's kill it, quickly, before it moves again.

Regards,
Alexander

PS: Yes, this was a flame, it's still burning. :->

--
Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.
Alexander Koch - <>< - WWJD - aka Efraim - PGP 0xE7694969 - KOCH1-RIPE