Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

Hi,

At Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:18:33 -0500 (CDT),
Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> When we're able to provide users with tools that can handle UTF-8 effectively
> at every turn, *then* we can discuss full-Unicode in the packages file.  But
> *today*, we're not ready for that.  We should therefore focus on getting the
> software working, first.

Well, UTF-8 will be mere one of many encodings which future perfect Debian
will support.  Thus, default messages (Description:, Maintainer:, "MSGID"
in message catalogs, and so on) have to be written in ASCII, which is the
common part of all encodigs.  If you want to use accented alphabets and so
on for English, please use Description-en: and so on so that it is used
only under English locales.

Thus, even in future when UTF-8 support will be fully implemented, we
should use ASCII for default messages.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/