Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 07:08:37PM +0100, David Starner wrote:
> From: Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk>> On Fri, Jul 13,
> 2001 at 09:25:35AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> > well, it does not matter what was English like originally....
> > those words are here and it is impossible to evade using them,
> > since perhaps half of active vocabulary is of foreign origin.
>
> Irrelevant. The origins of the vocabulary are pointless; whether or not they
> are written with diacletics is.

that was my point.

> If you write "your role involves a facade of
> naive cooperation", everyone will know exactly what you mean, and very few
> would give it a second look.

of course, if you write "vasa uloha zahrna fasadu naivnej kooperacie",
in Slovak, everyone will know exactly what you mean. That
does not make the sentence correct, without all those required diacritics.

> > In _really proper_ English you have edh and thorn as well :-)
>
> Um, no? Really old English does not mean really proper English. Archaic
> English is not in discussion here;

well, when we started talking about Shakespeare :-)

> modern international computer English is,
> and that is writen in the ASCII character set.

because of lack of other options...

btw when I see facade without cedilla in an English text, my brain
halts on it, tries to pronounce it with [k], only then recovers and goes
on... (but I am no a native speaker, so this is not really relevant)

anyway, this is irrelevant to the discussion... even if you claim the
default language of Packages ASCII-only English, there are still cases
when it is convenient to include a diacritics (or other chars) in the
file.

To allow it or not to allow, that's the question :-)