Re: updating of /etc/rc?.d

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:56:45PM -0700, Erik Hollensbe wrote:
> I was wondering how possible it would be to considering adding to the policy that a single runlevel's symlinks be left out of updating from packages.
>
> After running an update of 200+ packages or so, all the rc?.d directories are re-polluted with symlinks i've destroyed. This is a big problem on my workstation, where I may only want mysqld up for a few hours while I check something, for example.

if you leave at least one symlink in at least one runlevel, even if
its a K link in runlevel 0 or 6 update-rc.d will refuse to add any new
links.  policy requires the use of update-rc.d so packages can't add
any links so long as you leave at least one.  if you find a package
that does otherwise thats a bug.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/