updating of /etc/rc?.d

I was wondering how possible it would be to considering adding to the policy that a single runlevel's symlinks be left out of updating from packages.

After running an update of 200+ packages or so, all the rc?.d directories are re-polluted with symlinks i've destroyed. This is a big problem on my workstation, where I may only want mysqld up for a few hours while I check something, for example.

Thanks,

--
Erik Hollensbe <erik@powells.com>
Programmer, Powells Internet Division