Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 07:24:13PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:18:33AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Now, it doesn't take a genius, to see how this will cascade.  For each
> > optimization of a kernel, there will be a full kernel-image.deb.  Then, for
> > the boot disks, there will be the individual kernel, and the modules to match
> > it(this is a doubling of space).  So, for all the numbers given in this
> > thread(whatever their value), you have to double them.
>
> These kernel-image debs will NOT go onto the boot disks.  The boot disks
> will support what is essentially the 386 flavour.

Good move. Never disagree with that.

> > The best way to handle all this, is to train users how to compile a kernel,
> > or, let them pick the optimization they want, and we compile the kernel for
> > them.  We could even use a double boot technique, to make sure it works.  The
> > new kernel is installed, added to lilo, but not made the default.  System
> > reboots, and the user picks the new kernel.  IF the kernel works, we switch
> > the default.
>
> How are they going to compile a kernel if they haven't even installed Linux?
> The most important function of initrd is to reduce the number of kernel
> images needed on boot floppies to one.

But, you see, stock kernels suck rocks. So, we need the stock kernel (plus
maybe the initrd) to install. Then, past there, the end-users should be
compiling their *own* kernels. Reliance on stock kernels is sheer stupidity,
IMNSFHO.

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer