Re: ITP: ttf-japanese-kandata

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 11:58:12AM +0000, Takashi Okamoto wrote:
> You are right. Although I'll not transrate (sic.) it into English
> because people other than Japanese aren't interested in this font.

Not always true.  Many English only speakers working with us install
Japanese fonts to their windows PC so they can read ZENKAKU-English,
degree-C, Aungstrome or any fancy non-ASCII codes coming from Japan in
English Text.  I bet same sh--t may happen soon in Linux world.

Also many understand Japanese but more comfortable with English.

> That may be important to check license. But I believe Japanese
> developers can check it.

Checking is one thing but documenting in a common language is another.

--->>> Now to substance of fact --->>>

Reading through Japanese web page by Mr. Uchida, it states "almost
public domain".  There is nothing like "almost pregnant".  This means
this is not a statement of "public domain".

The only thing Mr. Uchida guarantees is that his portion of work can be
"freely copied and distributed".  For other people's work which he based
some porting of fonts, he thinks these are likely to be public domain
but also suggest problems it may have with long arguments.  He
encourages people to check by oneself.  He makes no commitment on other
people's work with good reasons.  Taking no chance of getting sued.  So
there is some due diligence needed beyond translating this single page
to make DFSG, I think.

(1) Confirm WAKABA-san about his stance on his portion of work.

(2) Identify other people involved and gather copyright information for
them.  If no definitive answer exist for them, check history and practice
of these font distribution and document it.

(3) Make sure there was not problematic practice involved in making
any part of fonts.

(4) Web page has long colloquial statements, so writing to Mr. Uchida
to gather short statement may be helpful.

I know elisa-font and many Japanese font projects had many contributors
and history of ambiguity on who owns it and what is the restriction.

Sorry for long English comment, I can not write to you in Japanese from
here. Please do not discouraged.  I look forward your package.

Regards,
Osamu
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +