Re: Replying to All Recipients. A Bad Thing?

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 05:32:41AM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> My problem is this:
>   * When I just reply, only the To: [sender] will be listed
>   * When I reply all, Cc: [debian-devel] will be listed, but of course
>     I'll probably be spamming a lot of people

Most people seem to think that replying to the list only is the
correct behavior. Personally, I far prefer receiving replies to my own
messages in my personal mail box rather than digging through the
archives of a high-volume mailing list searching for replies. Since a
lot of people send replies to me only to the lists, I modified my
Universal Mailing List Sorter procmail recipie to dump a copy of
mailing-list replies to me into my inbox. Later this was ported to
maildrop (which rocks!). I would post the code but unfortunally it's
heavily dependent on the mailing list filter I use... oh well, I'll
include the whole mailing list filter (I hope your MUA's don't wrap
the three long lines):

Maildrop version (newer):

#	$Id: .mailfilter,v 1.8 2000/10/22 02:21:30 aaronl Exp aaronl $
# change the next line
EMAIL="aaronl@vitelus.com"

# [snip]

# mailing list autosorter
if (/^(X-Mailing-[Ll]ist:[:space:]+<?|X-BeenThere:[:space:]+|Delivered-To:[:space:]+mailing list |Sender:[:space:]owner-)![^@>]+/:D \
{
	MATCH2=tolower($MATCH2)
	if ($MATCH2 =~ /[^a-z0-9\-]/:D)
	{
		# bad boy
		to mail/dangerous
	}

	if (!/^(B?cc|To|From):.*$EMAIL/ \
	&&   /In-Reply-To:.*$EMAIL/)
		cc $DEFAULT

	to mail/$MATCH2
}

Procmail version (older):

#	$Id: .procmailrc,v 1.10 2000/10/05 23:58:56 aaronl Exp aaronl $
EMAIL="aaronl@vitelus.com" # changeme

# [snip]

# Mailing list autosorter
# GARGARGAR
:0 D:
# Set the default score to -1
* -1^0 .
# Raise the score if it's a type 2 post
* 10^0 ^(X-Loop: |Return-path: <owner-)\/[^@>]+
# Raise the score by 20 if the message is a mailing list post of type 1
# must be last so it takes precedence
* 20^0 ^(X-Mailing-[Ll]ist: <|X-BeenThere: |Delivered-To: mailing list |Sender: owner-)\/[^@>]+
{
	# dump list-only replies of my mail into my spool file
	:0 c:
	# If I'm not in the To, CC, or BCC field, and the message isnt from me...
	*!$^(B?cc|To|From):.*$\EMAIL
	# ... and it is a reply to one of my messages
	*$In-Reply-To:.*$\EMAIL
	# then stick it in my mail spool
	$DEFAULT

	:0 D:
	# always match
	*.
	# sed is stupid
	mail/`echo $MATCH | sed -e 'y/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/; s/[^a-z0-9\-]//g'` # i like lowercase
}