Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   In case anyone is interested, I'm reposting the suggestion I made two
> years ago.  It probably needs tweaking, but it's some more ideas to throw
> into the pot.  Probably could be modified to take advantage of the
> proposed multiple inheritance.  I think it pretty well illustrates my
> idea that the final hierarchy presented to the user should be fairly narrow,
> if possible.

I agree with all of the below. It could be modified and merged with
other proposals. I think a very sound practice here is to work
both top-down and bottom-up. In order to do that, there should be
a graph that all of us can see. Meanwhile let's collect everybody's
categorization suggestions.

I strongly suggest that we also steal and merge the existing hierarchies
from places such as www.dmoz.org, www.yahoo.com, tucows, winfiles,
download.com, etc. We can simply take all of these hierarchies,
generalize and merge their ontologies and prune the irrelevant. While
doing this, we can also start adding packages to specific categories.
Nevertheless, we'd be needing some tools for this. I'll be working
on this subject [As part of a dept. course, too] so expect some output
from me. You might want to look at some of the links I sent in reply
to Thomas Bushnell and some of the previous ones... Basically, I'll
try to write an ontology-development framework. For instance, output
graphs will be visualized with graphviz, and a language will be used
to describe the ontologies. I haven't yet worked out the details yet,
but these are my preliminary ideas.

Comments?

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural